Wednesday, July 08, 2009

How Reading Blogs Has Changed Me and My Family

1. Growing our own tomatoes.
2. Hanging laundry outside to dry when possible.
3. Getting over thrift store snobbery, and finding some incredible things at a very reasonable cost!
4. Baking my own bread (with a $7 breadmaker found at Goodwill) - I've tried making one entirely from scratch, but it took a looooong time and more attention than I can give at this stage of life.
5. Arranging more flowers in our house (I used to think they looked prettier in our yard, but now the plants are producing more, and we get to enjoy them indoors as well!)
6. Using a reusable rag instead of a roll of paper towels to clean the kitchen floor.
7. Using cloth napkins instead of paper napkins for family meals.
8. Considering Montessori principles in regards to minimizing toy clutter, keeping our kids toys organized (It really works! Our kids really have become used to putting away toys without a fuss, and they like knowing exactly where their toys are!)
9. Considering Montessori principles in regards to empowering our children to learn and grow in practical life skills. My husband and I have both been able to enjoy the toddler phase because of this - rather than being frustrated when Adam and Norah insist on doing things by themselves (i.e. put on clothes or shoes, pour liquids, clean up - all of which take more time than if we were to do it for them), we have learned to slow down, relax, and encourage them. Plus they are growing into very confident, capable kids who have a growing sense of their own ability and self. Awesome! Montessori books have been a real eye-opener for me in many ways.
10. Learning to pace myself and prioritize what is important. Some days, laundry or another household task can be put on the back burner while I play trains with our kids. Other days, I have the kids help me with putting the laundry in or they play while I do the dishes. We have been learning to respect each other's needs and requests.
11. Accessing some very inspirational and helpful books about how I partner, lead and care for our family as Mommy and Wife. I could go on and on with a list of books that I have checked out from the library as a result of various bloggers' recommendations.
12. Realizing the abundance and richness of having flowers and fresh-baked items to share with neighbors. This has gone a long way towards building a rapport with several neighbors who have been eager to connect with us in return (the most powerful for me was when a middle-aged bachelor who lives with his sister requested our recipe for pumpkin bread and used it to make his own banana bread, which he delivered to me with much pride!).

I'm sure this list will continue to expand, but I've run out of time to write at present. I credit some of the women whose blogs are listed in the sidebar (esp. Eyes of Wonder, Little Jenny Wren, Soulemama, and Sew Liberated) with truly influencing me and our family for the better. They don't know me, but I've been so grateful for them!

2 comments:

Jenny said...

Hi Carole that is a very impressive list and I am honoured to be included with Jewels, Amanda and Meg as people you look to for a little inspiration. Thank you. You are doing a great job you inspire me.

Butterfly Kisses said...

I have learned so much from blogs too. I love reading Susan Driscol's "Missionary Susan" blog. She keeps me in perspective of what's really important. I'll feel like complaining and then I'm reminded of their fundraising goals so they can return to Japan to serve the Lord. It humbles me.