
Addicted to Sugar. Still.
This past Lent I gave up sugar. It was incredibly hard, even though I allowed myself to break my sugar fast on Saturdays (when our family has a day of rest together). I went through withdrawals like cravings and I felt angry and low energy alot. Then...I emerged. Energized. On a more even keel, with less highs and lows throughout the day. I ran further. I felt stronger, more alert.
Easter came and went, along with various sugary goodies to celebrate that I went so long without sugar. Ironic, I know. And now, a couple of months later, I'm back to eating sugar again - a scoop of ice cream here, a baked good there - and I have an inflamed muscle in my hip that has prevented me from running for a couple weeks. (can you hear the violins?) ;)
Ah. Well, it's time to rally the troops again. If I am truly going to make significant enough life changes to help me to not be as susceptible to cancer again, I really need to get back on track.
Here is my current list of goals:
1. Yoga once a week.
2. Walk or run for at least 30 minutes, 3x/week. Go easy until hip heals, but get out there!
3. Plan vegetables as the main course for dinner, any meat or pasta as the side dish (basically, a reframing of how I see the meal as a whole, and this will affect my portion sizes of meat & starches).
4. Eat a healthy cereal (I prefer Cheerios or Raisin Bran, or mixed together) for breakfast; other breakfast treats (i.e. waffles, french toast, pancakes, scones, biscuits, coffee cake - can you tell we like breakfast?!) will be limited to family rest day on Saturday.
5. Plan my daily snacks.
6. Take my daily multivitamin.
7. Drink more water.
8. Plan to have dessert only once per week - for date night.
To be continued! Here's to good health, my friends! Any prayers and cheering me on is very appreciated!!!
2 comments:
Oh yes, prayers for you. I like the meat and carbs as the side dish idea and veg. as the main.
INteresting about the sugar isn't it?
Have you heard of acai berries? I really feel energetic after a freshly squeezed juice with a spoonful in it.
I liked your list of what blog reading has done for you. Yes blogs are great because people everywhere are enjoying and making the best of what they have/are.
I have a hard time limiting my sugar. You go girl! I'm proud of you!--Di
Post a Comment