Saying Goodbye to a Blogging Friend
(A longer version was sent via e-mail)
Dear Jewels,
I just wanted to write and wish you and your family the very best as I mourn with you the closing of your blog yet rejoice in how God is so faithful to lead us all step by step. I know that there are seasons, though, that God will lead us into things, and then perhaps out of them again, and I have been so blessed to have been a little bee flitting about the web who stumbled on the flower of Eyes of Wonder. Oh, the pollen I brought back to my own little hive!!
Just to share more specifically, in the past few months that I have found your website and have been influenced by you and your family:
1. I have started a new nightly tradition with my son ~ After our usual storytime, I have now begun to light a candle and sing several songs before putting him to bed. The last two songs I sing are “Jesus loves me, this I know” and “Praise God from whom all blessings flow.” This has been very special way for me to get to share about God and Jesus with our kids without being heavy-handed.
2. I have been teaching myself to crochet. I will confess that I have been coveting those lovely hand-knitted or crocheted washcloths in your photos, so my goal is to create some of my own!
3. My journal has been refreshed and renewed in ways I can hardly describe. Since having your permission (thanks again for that!), I have been pasting some of your gorgeous photos into my journal. It’s been a way for me to imagine times like strolling with God at the seaside or walking up to Martha and Mary’s front door with Jesus waiting inside (the yellow house with the wreath on the door). These little imaginings have been a breath of fresh air for my own journal reflections and for my daily attitude as I care for our family.
4. I have begun to think more strategically about our house as a home, and how I can contribute to easing my husband’s "daily burdens" (I have printed out a few quotes from your website about this topic and about caring for our children that I have pasted in my journal). I have found myself baking my first ever double-crust blueberry pie, baking bread (wow, so challenging! Lots to learn there!), and simply enjoying cooking meals more than I have in awhile.
5. Mrs. Meyer’s cleaning supplies….I just ordered some of the lavender all-purpose cleaner and dryer sheets a few days ago and certainly never thought I’d look forward to cleaning!
6. I have also been thinking more strategically about hospitality (some because of your blog, some because of what I’ve been reading in “The Hidden Art of Homemaking” by Edith Schaeffer). This past week we had our leadership conference for about ten student leaders and welcomed them in our home at different points. My husband’s supervisor, who is also a long-standing good friend and partner in ministry, changed his plans to stay into the evening when he’d heard that I’d made apple dumplings for dessert!! Amazing how the simple act of baking can be such a blessing in this culture of instantaneous consumption!
I could go on, but I hope that as you read this, you were able to see that even in the window of time that you were blogging, God did bless me enormously, and I’m sure the list would be Enormous if your other visitors were to tag along!! (Note: There are nearly 300 comments on Eyes of Wonder already!)
All this is to say, however, that I feel I was handed a gorgeous gift these past months, and I will continue to be blessed by what it has been.
Thank you, Jewels.
In God’s love,
Carole
To those who have missed this delightful woman's influence via her blog (previously I posted a link to her site), I hope I will be able to pass on some of what I have learned from her. Amazing how blogging can be such a global gift. May God enable my words to bless others even a smidgin as much as Jewels' words have!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment