Saturday, October 21, 2006

Trust

In my desire to confront my fears, I've been thinking alot about faith. How, I've been wondering, do I actively choose faith if it's something that God's Spirit does in me? It occured to me that trust is another way to understand faith - choosing to trust God is in active opposition to my fears. I wanted to see what the Bible says about trust, so I did a word study on it, and thought I'd share some of the scriptures I found as well as a few of my thoughts...

(Interestingly, the King James version uses the word "trust" many times, whereas other Bibles (NIV, RSV, etc.) cut it out almost completely - which mystifies me! I used the KJ version along with the concordance, so that's why some of the scripture below will sound different than the NIV.) Since I'm a woman, I'm changing some of the pronouns (just helps me take it in more).

One of the most intense passages is in 2 Kings 18 when the King of Assyria's general comes to taunt King Hezekiah and the Israelites. The general mocks them for trusting God and says that the King of Assyria has proven himself to be unbeatable in battle, so why be so irrational as to trust in their God? As I read this, I could easily imagine Satan mocking Christians and saying the same thing - "Look, look the circumstances and the reality of things. That's what is real. Why trust God for help?" But King Hezekiah is faithful, and the people do not respond to the general's taunts - then the angel of the Lord kills scores of Assyrian soldiers and the King of Assyria is killed without Israel needing to do anything.

Psalm 5:11 says, "Let everyone rejoice who puts her trust in you. Keep them shouting for joy because you are defending them. Fill all who love you with your happiness. For you bless the godly woman, O Lord; you protect her with your shield of love."

There are many, many psalms that mention trusting in God' strength, how good God is to those who trust him, and encouraging us to trust in God as our refuge (several references to being under God's wings). Trusting God is often linked with joy, delight, and blessing.

Other things that scripture says people trust in:
~ the strength of horses, chariots, armor, weaponry
~ graven images/manmade idols
~ wealth
~ princes
~ man
~ lying words
~ country
~ walls
~ ourselves
~ our own righteousness

My favorite image of someone who trusts in the Lord is from Psalm 52:8 ~ "But I am like a green olive tree in the house of the Lord: I trust in the mercy of God forever and ever."

In these passages on trust, scripture says that God is our:
~ help
~ rescuer
~ protection
~ shield
~ horn of our salvation
~ defense
~ buckler
~ high tower
~ (everlasting) strength
~ refuge
~ savior
~ song
~ rock
~ safety

I hope you find this as encouraging as I have!

1 comment:

Butterfly Kisses said...

Carole,
Thanks for the encouragement and the awesome words of truth. I felt especially convicted when reading the summary of your word study on the trust I put in myself and in my own righteousness. This is especially hard for me to deal with when I blow it in my own life, and in particular in my ability to rest in God's forgiveness and grace in my own life. If you have a chance, check out my most recent post titled, "Forgiveness and Grace." I hope it encourages you in your journey as a mom and as a believer. Blessings,
--Di