Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Adventures In Parenting

I knew we’d reached a new parenting milestone yesterday when our son picked something off of the kitchen floor, put it in his mouth, and rather than wrestle it out of his mouth, the following exchange ensued between his parents:

Me: “Well, if it’s not food, I guess it’ll just come out the other end!”
Dave: “Well, what if it was a bug?”
Me: “They eat those for protein in some countries, you know!”
Dave: “That’s the spirit!”

Important note: our son is fine. Before you call the authorities on us, I should note that it was very likely food! I think he was just following the “5-minute rule” and just couldn’t tell us we’d dropped something! ;)

***
Yesterday, in an unrelated incident (we think), our son climbed out of his crib for the first time. My husband was putting our son down for a nap, and after a period of quiet, he heard a thud and then our son crying. Fortunately, despite falling flat on his back, our son was relatively unharmed, and his parents are hoping that he’s learned his lesson (naïve, perhaps, but we’ll see). We were hoping to wait on getting a toddler bed until Christmas, but it seems to be in the “rush” category now! As my sister said, “I’m sure there are plenty of boys who get hurt doing something and try it again!”

***
Yesterday evening (it was a busy day, y’all!), my son and I were coloring with his washable Crayola markers on some large paper when he accidentally swiped the brown marker over his foot. He stood there for a moment, looking in amazement at the color on his foot, looked up at me with big eyes, and then happily got to work scribbling on his hand. I immediately thought of my son with permanent marker all over and of him trying to color his little sister, and I almost stopped the bodyart-in-progress. But I didn’t. After all, these were washable, and so my son and I had a great time – he colored his legs (and accidentally, his outfit) red, purple, and brown, and I drew one of those talking faces on my hand. Then he ran around the house looking like a happy little Eric Carle drawing come-to-life. Sometimes, I think a willingness to let things get messy or to allow him to literally “color outside the lines” can be just as therapeutic for me as a parent as it is for my son....I grew up in a fairly high-control environment, so this was a particularly refreshing moment for me!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think I'd like to try that Marker thing! Sounds like fun! Just a hint on the toddler bed - we just put the crib mattress on the floor with a blanket next to it for when Zoe rolled off. It was a great transition-type thing! Lasted us 5 months until she did get a bed!