Attitude Counts...For a Lot!
I was inspired by Jenny at Little Jenny Wren (see sidebar) to check out the book The Art of Homemaking by Daryl Hoole. I personally am not Mormon, but I have had the impression that the Mormon families I have known/been acquainted with seemed to have very smoothly running households...and I wanted their secret! Well, I think Daryl Hoole is the happy Mormon homemaker's secret. No joke! I have checked out the 1967 (ish) version of the book, so sometimes it can feel a bit idealistic (you know, illustrations of mothers with perfectly coiffed hair, holding freshly baked cupcakes on a plate in hand with a sparkling kitchen in the backgound). Although Ms. Hoole is clear that there is the "Ideal Homemaker" that she feels is attainable, I feel it is important to simply glean what good tips I can and not overwhelm myself with trying to be someone I simply am not. My hair just doesn't hold the curl like that, my oven is unpredictable, and a sparkling, clutter-free kitchen counter lasts about 5 minutes or less in our house.
All that said, Ms. Hoole's first observations have been wonderful helps to me today, and I think that she very well may actually influence me in the direction of enjoying housework (yes, shocking, especially for me!)! She recounts a story of Christopher Wren, the famous architect of buildings such as Westminster Abby, going to the building site and asking three men, "What are you doing?" The first said, "I am cutting stone." The second said, "I am building for Christopher Wren." The third said, "I am building for God." Her point, as I understood it, is that when we lose sight of the greater vision of why we do what we do in our homes, of course it feels like drudgery, of course it feels boring or even meaningless. But, seen with different eyes, the work itself can be an entirely different experience, and not simply an end in and of itself.
Secondly, Ms. Hoole observes that the ideal homemaker understands that how she feels emotionally impacts how she feels physically. So true! I often operate the other way around - I wait for the physical energy first, then tackle the to-do list. But this morning, I got up at 5 a.m. and just couldn't get back to sleep, so I read and really relished Psalm 65, worship danced until the kids woke up, and proceeded to do the following all before 10 a.m.:
- washed dishes
- made all the beds
- made breakfast for me and kids (actually sat down to eat it instead of standing at the counter like I sometimes do as if that will save me time)
- brewed tea for Dave
- watered plants
- played with cars and blocks with kids for about an hour
- put a load of laundry in the washer and then dryer (too cold a day for outside, believe it or not!)
- folded two loads of laundry and put it away
- straightened up the kids' room (forgotten books and clothes)
- cleared up our patio clutter
- swept up gardening clippings
- cleared off and wiped down the kitchen counters
- hung up Norah's latest art project
- cooked lasagna noodles for dinner tomorrow (will make ahead tonight)
- set up Norah for a little stamping time ($3 box of stamps from Salvation Army + $1 stamp pad = happy little girl!)
The three of us then went to the library and to the grocery store - home by 12:10, lunch for all three of us by 12:30, and I got to work ON TIME!!!!
I am amazed. I'm expecting to crash into bed tonight, but dang, I'm excited about all I've been able to do in such a happy way, not feeling pressured or overwhelmed, but just worshipful all day long so far! I really never thought I'd be a morning quiet time person, but I think this is worth a shot! I'll keep you posted (pun intended!). :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
So glad your morning was so productive. You go girl! I'm proud of your positive attitude towards home-making and motherhood.
You are doing great! Keep it up!
Post a Comment