Thursday, November 06, 2008

On the Road Again!!!

This past Saturday I ran for the first time since the cancer was removed from my colon in July. WOW!! I have no way to really describe what this meant to me. To feel the strength of my body again, to challenge myself to go up a large hill and make it to the top, to whoop and holler in the crisp morning and to weep with gratitude...words just can't express it all.

I have committed myself once again to running 3x a week! I've already been running on Monday and Wednesday, and I am so eager to run again! I'd like to go on Saturday for a nice long run, but I know my body needs time to acclimate to exercise again. I've been sore, but I'm pressing through it and wanting to start yoga once a week again as well.

I have been feeling very motivated - something about the arrival of November 1st and the three months passing since my surgery feels like a New Year's Day. I am longing to clean things out, to organize in our house, to nest and to make our home more cozy and comfortable. I am longing for quality time with family. I am longing for better health, for regular exercise and healthier meals. I am longing for more art and writing time. I am longing - really THIRSTY, actually - for prayer that leaves my heart wide open with God, for prayer that expands and places my spirit in the hands of Jesus for transformation and renewal.

I want to paint our fireplace. I want to buy a new jacket, but really, I want to dress as ALIVE as I feel. Bold colors, new hairstyles, reworking my old clothes into different outfits. I am going to paint my nails tonight. I am going to eliminate the piles of papers and odds/ends from my closet drawer. I am going to put on some music and dance or dream or sit with some candles and rest.

Amazing, I remarked to my husband, how running makes me feel like a different person. I feel like I have more energy in my soul somehow - more motivation to clean house, even! I am not waiting for New Year's. Today is the day at hand, and even small steps can add up to a significant journey.

No comments: