In Wonderment
This morning, while our daughter was napping and my husband was making his way through the last Harry Potter book, our son and I went to the Botanical Gardens. I literally felt my heart just balloon with love as I watched him walking or running along, picking up sticks and such, and chatting up a storm all the while. He is a bit of a late bloomer when it comes to talking, but he sure understands a ton, and his conversations this morning sounded a bit like this: “Abababa ROCK! Abababa ROCK! Abababa STICK! Mama, STICK!"
Our son scooted on his bottom on the dirt trail for a good ten yards, got up and went back to the same starting point, and did it again for about a yard or two. As he scooted forward, he examined the leaves, roots, and rocks, picking up his favorites. Of course he got incredibly dirty and dusty, but I’m used to that at home, too! Our son’s favorite place to play at home is a square of dirt next to our laundry room door. He’ll bring out his Bob the Builder machines and play by himself for ages, lying on his tummy so he can see Scoop or Muck move dirt at eye level.
I don’t think I will ever be jaded to the fact that being a mom is one of the most wonderful experiences of my life. That I took part in bringing into the world this amazing, wonderful boy (and girl – about whom I can also go on at length!), absolutely blows me away. Not easy, certainly….but Wonderful, Wonderful, Wonderful.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment