My Little Daily Miracle
"God, you made great galaxies and clouds of flaming gas and burning suns. Surely they are no more exciting to you than one small child laughing with love." ~ Madeleine L'Engle
Dear Son-shine,
Today is not a birthday or milestone of any particular kind. We got up in the morning just like we often do, both of us a little grumpy but glad for a warm hug before you run down the hall with your doggie and we dig into our bowls of Cheerios and you eat an entire banana in about 5 seconds. There was the nice surprise of the free "Olivia and the Missing Toy" book in the Cheerios box, which we read four times in a row. There were the usual birds tweeting happily outside as they crowded around our bird feeder. You ran around in some sweatpants that kept creeping down your hips and needed to be hitched up again and again. We got your hair cut and, as usual, you refused to let Nancy clip the hair around your ears, so Daddy or I will have to do it later when you are distracted by Winnie the Pooh or VeggieTales. You didn't like the cloth that Nancy put over us to shield us from your clipped hair, so we walked out looking like Big Hairball and Little Hairball.
Did you know that on a day like today, just like any other day, I love you so much it's just big-happy-wonderful-CRAZY!?! At work this afternoon I saw a monarch butterfly - a glorious firey-orange and midnight-black winged beauty, and I thought of how happy you would be to see it. Maybe it will come to visit us someday.
I am thinking now of your arms wrapped around my neck and how I love it when you run back and forth and give me hug after hug. These days you are upset whenever we try to put your pants on, and I don't know why. You have a sudden disinterest in the grilled cheese sandwiches and quesadillas that you used to gobble up. You like to read in your new bed now instead of in the rocking chair, and you pile up all your stuffed animal friends to create a snuggly nest to pounce on. Sometimes you surprise me with what upsets you. Sometimes you surprise me with what makes you laugh.
Sweet boy, your mama loves you so much!
love,
me
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Carole,
Such a sweet post. Isn't motherhood wonderful? It is so absolutely demanding...and yet, so precious and rewarding. You are doing a great job...keep up the good work!--Di
Dear Carole,
I am so encouraged by your true and real faith and love for your family! At the baby shower for Amy you welcomed me so graciously and I felt right at home! As I sit here typing, my David is on my lap and I appreciate the letter to your son! Gotta go - he wants to type also!
Jade
Post a Comment