Friday, March 11, 2011

Dream of a Cello

I find myself today facing the reality of one of my dreams coming true - participation in my first art exhibit! AND the exhibit will be this month in Los Angeles, accompanying a play put on by a close friend and her theatre company!

All that remains is for me to type up descriptions of the pieces and drop it all off.

I have no idea yet what the space will look like, how long it will be up, how people will respond, or any of those sorts of things. But....the validation I feel being taken seriously as an artist is making me feel like a firework! Aglow!!!

I got so excited, I wanted to create another piece - Now. Immediately. And did so in an hour, which will tell you that this was not as well thought through. Our international student asked me if the outline of hands that I quickly drew was a bunch of bananas. I had a good laugh!! And isn't that really the point - that creating is fun, a delight to make, a work in progress (it and us), and sparks more and more creating? And some of that creating is really just part of the process of practice, of fine-tuning our instruments, not being the end in itself but a way that we loosen up like a musician before a performance.

I was sitting in Starbucks last night to journal for an hour and heard a beautiful cello piece. I felt in me a deep longing - not just to learn the cello, although that is there - but to BE that cello, in the hands of the Master Musician, being played as I am meant to be played, being the means of bringing to life such a beautiful piece of music that I make a woman stop journalling and weep with joy in Starbucks.

May it be so.

No comments: